Catanzaro, Italy

 

Catanzaro (Greek: Katantheros, Katastarioi Lokroi) is a city in Calabria , Italy the capital of both the province of Catanzaro and the whole region of Calabria.

Aerial view of the historical centre.

The town rises on a rock and is split into two parts by the steep Fiumarella valley, the two sections being connected by a huge concrete steel bridge (the bridge

Viadotto Morandi), among the highest in Europe, built in 1960 on a design by architect Riccardo MorandiThe beach side neighborhood Catanzaro Lido, located about 5 kilometers south, has a wide promenade and a harbor for small fishing and pleasure boats.Catanzaro harbour

It has a large board walk, and a harbor for small fishing and pleasure boats. Called the city of the 3 V’s from Vitaliano (the patron saint), velvets (it was a textile center since Norman times) and “venti” (=winds) for the breeze form the Sila mountains and the sea.

History

The origins of the name are debated. Some say it derived from two Byzantine generals, Kattaro and Zaro, while another theory is that Zaro was the original name of the river (Zarapotamo), so that katà Zaro would mean beyond the river. According to Luigi Settembrini, the name could also be derived by the Greek words kata’- antheros “on the flowery (hills)”.The old town was built over three hills (St. Trifone or St. Rocco Hill; Episcopate’s Hill; St. John’s Hill) in Byzantine timesIn the 15th century, under the Aragonese domination of southern Italy, Catanzaro was the silk producing capital of the world that created silks and lace for the world’s courts and Vatican. Merchants often came from all over Europe to buy the silk in the port of Reggio Calabria before Pentecost day. During the revolt of Calabrian barons of 1528, the Spanish viceroy Pedro Alarcon de Mendoza with 11,000 loyal troops resisted a long siege, gaining for the city the title of magnifica at fidelissima by emperor Charles V and the right to mint coin. A devastating earthquake in 1783 wiped away churches, palaces and a large part of the population, and a second in earthquake in 1832 completed the destruction of most of the ancient historical buildings. Catanzaro was once a flourishing Byzantine center as well as an early Norman outpost. The former Norman castle still remains today.normann castle

 

Main sights

Duomo (Cathedral). Built over a Norman cathedral built in 1121, in the 16th century it received a Renaissance façade which was however destroyed in 1638. The church was almost entirely destroyed by the bombings of 1943, and was later rebuilt.

cathedral's Catanzaro

Cavatore’s Fountains. It was realized in 1950 by Giuseppe Rito. it is a symbol of work’s citizens.cavatore's fountain

 Politeama Theatre is a modern theatre. It was realized in 2002 by famous italian architet Paolo Portoghesi. It has the shape of shellsea.theatre

 Mimmo Rotella, the famous portrait, was born in Catanzaro. He had a particular way to paint on movie-stamp of famous films.picture

AROUND CATANZARO

Ancient Greek and  Roman Ruins in Roccelletta.  It is was a greek colony Skylletion and then Roman Scolacium. In it there is a the roman theatre,  the square…During summer in this archeological area there are exhibitions of modern art and concerts.theatre1

 

0 Response to “Catanzaro, Italy”


Comments are currently closed.